Monday, February 8, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside....

While I was doing a bit of reorganizing this weekend, I came across a Christmas card from my friend Lindsay. It featured an adorable snow globe perfectly suited for recycling. After designing this card, I was in the mood to create more. You might say I was frost-bitten with inspiration. Southern New England had been lucky enough to avoid a major blizzard that had charged up the East coast. My hands were chilly, but there wasn't a flake of snow in the air. We've been pretty fortunate so far this year in terms of snowfall (as I knock on wood).
 
I chose this card base because it coordinated with the green and light blue in the recycled snow globe and repeated the circle element. There was one circle on the card that was too bold and would've detracted from the overall look. That determined placement of the snow globe. Because the card recipient prefers bright colors and is a fan of pink (but not red), I chose to punch up the color with raspberry cardstock.

Supplies: My Mind's Eye (card base), Paper Magic Group (recycled Christmas card), Creative Memories (raspberry cardstock), Avery (round tag), American Crafts (ribbon, sentiment rub-on), Stitch-in-Time (stitches rub-on), Xyron adhesive, EK Success (3D dots), Glue Dots International (glue dots).


This is a card I made two years ago when I was participating in a winter-themed toss with other paper crafters. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, some paper crafters swap their handmade creations or supplies with other crafters to get new ideas or supplies. Each swap is hosted by someone who is responsible for receiving and redistributing the items so everyone in the swap receives one complete set. A toss is a little different. It's a random act of kindness (RAK) to a fellow crafter. People who are interested sign up, and the list is distributed to all participants. Each person sends an item via snail mail to whomever they choose on the list. You may or may not receive anything in return. For the winter-themed toss, I had created tags using the same supplies as on the above card. The inspiration was the Basic Grey cardstock that featured snowman heads in a grid pattern. I simply cut them apart, applied a single one onto a tag in the same color palette as the card and tied on a length of fiber.

On this snowflake card, I used three items I received in a swap: embossed white cardstock, large white snowflake and blue ribbon. The snowflake is made of a thick, glittered plastic, which adds dimension to the card. It's mounted on a square of highly reflective silver cardstock, but the photo doesn't do it justice. The blue ribbon is trimmed in silver and printed with tiny silver snowflakes. The card was made with Bazzill cardstock.

The black & white patterned paper was the basis for this card. I tore a couple of strips to expose the white edge, then layered it with bright pink paper. I tied a length of fuzzy pink fiber around the card twice and tied it in a knot. It reminds me of a warm, cozy sweater, which is a good idea because, baby, it's cold outside....

Supplies: Bazzill Basics (white cardstock), Rebecca Sower for EK Success (crinkled bright pink), black & white paper and fiber unknown.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I like all of these Pauline! Really nice cards and I love your idea of recycling a card. We are expecting a big snow storm tonight and I sure am hoping it misses us. Although I guess it wouldn't be too bad being snowed in if I get crafting time. :)

    ReplyDelete